We’ve updated the Security Event Token (SET) specification to address feedback received from Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) members. We’ve actually published three versions in quick succession in preparation for tomorrow’s evaluation by the IESG.
Draft -11 incorporated feedback from Security Area Director Eric Rescorla and IANA Designated Expert Ned Freed. Changes were:
- Clarified “iss” claim language about the SET issuer versus the security subject issuer.
- Changed a “SHOULD” to a “MUST” in the “sub” claim description to be consistent with the Requirements for SET Profiles section.
- Described the use of the “events” claim to prevent attackers from passing off other kinds of JWTs as SETs.
- Stated that SETs are to be signed by an issuer that is trusted to do so for the use case.
- Added quotes in the phrase ‘”token revoked” SET to be issued’ in the Timing Issues section.
- Added section number references to the media type media type suffix registrations.
- Changed the encodings of the media type and media type suffix registrations to binary (since no line breaks are allowed).
- Replaced a “TBD” in the media type registration with descriptive text.
- Acknowledged Eric Rescorla and Ned Freed.
Draft -12 incorporated feedback from Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov, and Alissa Cooper. Changes were:
- Removed unused references to RFC 7009 and RFC 7517.
- Corrected name of RFC 8055 in Section 4.3 to “Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Via Header Field Parameter to Indicate Received Realm”.
- Added normative references for base64url and UTF-8.
- Section 5.1 – Changed SHOULD to MUST in “personally identifiable information MUST be encrypted using JWE [RFC7516] or …”.
- Section 5.2 – Changed “MUST consider” to “must consider”.
- Acknowledged Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov, and Alissa Cooper.
Draft -13 incorporated feedback from Martin Vigoureaux. Changes were:
- Changed a non-normative “MAY” to “may” in Section 1.1.
- Acknowledged Martin Vigoureux and Mirja Kühlewind.
The specification is available at:
An HTML-formatted version is also available at: