This week the OpenID Certification program won the 2018 European Identity and Cloud Award for Best Innovation at the European Identity and Cloud (EIC) conference. This is actually the second award for the OpenID Certification program this year and only the latest in a series awards recognizing the value and impact of OpenID Connect and certification of its implementations.
On this occasion, I thought I’d take the opportunity to recount the awards that OpenID Connect, the specifications underlying it, and its certification program have been granted. To date, they are:
- OpenID Connect: 2012 European Identity Award for Best Innovation/New Standard
- OAuth 2.0: 2013 European Identity Award for Best Innovation/New Standard
- JSON Web Token (JWT) and JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE): 2014 Special European Identity Award for Best Innovation
- OpenID Certification program: 2018 Identity Innovation Award
- OpenID Certification program: 2018 European Identity and Cloud Award for Best Innovation
Speaking of impact, I can’t help but end this note with data that Alex Simons presented at EIC this week. 92% of Azure Active Directory (AAD) authentications use OpenID Connect. There’s no better demonstration of impact than widespread deployment. Very cool!